Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Nature Walk

Success! Technical difficulties resolved. Anyways, this post is about a recent nature walk I took, and the results:







These are just a few of the pictures I took obviously (the top one is my favorite). Yes, I know, the subject matter is very similar to most of my other recent stuff....Some might call it exactly the same....Dandelions, flowers, and leaves. What can I say, they look cool.


A Lesson in Value:

Today, I'd also like to talk about some art stuff. In particular, Color versus Value. This is just something I've noticed when working with photos of flowers and other colorful nature stuff. So, in keeping with the general format of explaining things, I'll explain what color and value are.

Ok, we all know what color is. It's red, yellow, green, blue, magenta, and all those other ones I don't need to mention. Different Hues are the different colors that we see. Value is essentially the amount of light or darkness in something. That's about it.

Now, the easiest way to differentiate color and value in photography is to greyscale an image. Take a look at these below!





With the daisy, the yellow center seems to be very vivid and bright, but looking at just the value in the greyscale image we see that the center is really almost as dark as the background! Looking at the leaf, you can clearly see the green and the redish color on the left, but on the right, there's no telling them apart. I just found it very interesting how all these bright colors found in nature change so much when you greyscale an image.

Ok, that's all for now.



8 comments:

  1. Brilliant pictures as always!
    Fun insight on value too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaf photo is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of the corn is fantastic! Perfect DoF, lovely soft light and tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative.
    My favourite is the coloured leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favourite blogs, really. I like the effort you put in these photos, they look really great. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete